Sunday, October 08, 2006

What Would a Smart Person Do?


Those of you who know me will undoubtedly have heard me utter this question a thousand times. Recently I was musing how this has become part of a life philosophy for me. Not just trying to be a “smart person”, but actually asking myself the deeper question “who do I want to be?”
Character is huge – it is at the bottom of all I am and do. I want to live out the pure man of God that my Creator designed me to be. I see character in three ways…

The first facet of character is the actual reality of who I am, the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is the real character I am regardless of how I might see myself. My true character will eventually come out of me and show who I really am – so I better work on being real to the core, and not a fraud.

Second is the way I see myself. I’m sure we all can agree that on any given day – our self-image can get pretty screwed up. The challenge is to learn ways to see clearly. Good friends, mentors, accountability partner’s etc. will help. Most of all I want to se what God sees when he looks at me. This requires that I ask Him, and learn how to listen, regularly!

The last way I see character (and this is my point) is who I want to be. Special thanks to Switchfoot for the song that goes “…this is your life, are you who you want to be?” So I need to ask myself; “who do I want to be?” This picture in my head needs to be the identity God has created me for, or as much of it as I can see. This allows me to envision my growth. It equips me to deal with choices in life by asking; “what would the person I want to be - do in this situation?” Kinda’ like “what would a smart person do?” These questions help me act on who I want to be, rather than on selfish impulses, or sinful nature patterns. I have the choice to act from my growing character! Don't ask "what would Jesus do?" Jesus lives in you! Instead ask "what would I do?"

This philosophy has been snowballing in my head for a while – thanks Reid for helping me decide that it’s worth writing down.

15 Comments:

Blogger tommy : s said...

switchfoot bluuurghh. that track .. AMAZING, one of my fave songs of all time. thinking back to last week .. "whining" or "longing"?

"what would Jesus do, Christ in me the hope of glory?" nice extension, although a messy acronym wwjdcimthog

7:08 PM  
Blogger Delbert said...

"My true character will eventually come out of me and show who I really am"

and i dont dissagree with that regardless of what i'm about to say...

but where is the line between what we do, and who we are. it would be all too simple (but so much simpler) to assume that everything we do defines exactly who we are (as in, our character). so this first one can get dicey... i have found less value in trying to over-analyze character rather than simply always trying to move forward into Christ's character.

second one; again i dont dissagree (no matter how much it might sound like it) but it often seems to disagree very much so with the first to me; since God sees us as righteous (only through his son of course) ideally we see ourselves as righteous yes? but the first implies that we include the good, the bad and the ugly.

on the third, i love it. and maybe since that was the point of your post the first two didn't get as much explanation as an un-learn-ed blogger as myself would have liked...

thoughts?

10:33 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Good clarifying observations Del. I would first point out that there is a difference between character and identity. I guess I expect to change my character, but realize my identity. My hope is that my character lines up more and more with the identity I have in Christ.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perspective.............
i.e.
The Lion King.
He went from the cowardly to a LEADER. The circumstances didn't change, only the perspective.
The moulding clay was there all along.

Simplistic

9:30 AM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Good comment MOM...
I know it's you!
Welcome to the converstion.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Paul & Wanda Moores said...

Dude, your MOM is commenting on your blog.

Wow.

4:03 PM  
Blogger MC said...

You said, '“who do I want to be?” This picture in my head needs to be the identity God has created me for'.
This makes sence to me, but...
Suppose a voice in the back of my mind told me i'm still a failure, despite my redemption. What if it phsyced me out of what leads to success, perhaps even halting what would make me thrive...
What if God didn't want this, that he wanted somthing fuller...
What if I 'got' the way that God sees me, leading to a shift in my introversion and allowing redemption to continue it's good work unhindered.
This makes sence...
How does God see me?


WWJDGTHIIM?

8:09 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

"How does God see me? "

... Perhaps one of the best questions a disciple of Jesus can spend their life searching out! It also has repercusions on everyone I meet because I will be better able to see what God sees in them.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Markimus said...

Rob
Brilliant though process here... Let me ask now ... Can we apply 3 to 1? Can I look at who I am and what I have done... and see that through HIS eyes. My failures through His eyes may not be failures. and my successes through HIS says may only be obstacles to me discovering who I really am.
Mark sense? ;)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Absolutely! One of my goals is to gradually have my perceptions conformed to see what He sees. My successes, failures, passions, etc. through His eyes... must be life transforming.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Markimus said...

Becomes one of those circle of life things.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you tired of asking what would a smart person do in your every day life? then I have a solution. John Ross. John Ross will lend out his services to you at minimal cost. consider him a parter or coach, that you would take wherever needed. Do i turn left or right? How many apples should i eat? If i attach wheels to the roof of my car will i be safe from roll-overs? these questions and more can be answered by John Ross.
for scheduling please contact J_O_H_N_R_O_S_S@hotmail.com

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FIRST...Hi Rob's Mom!!! I miss you guys!

Now for you Rob - great questions and dialogue. I am studying a pretty indepth book with my staff right now - Fred Fulford gave it to me. "Renovations of the Heart" by Dallas Willard. I think it might break down some of your thoughts without over simplifying things (I hate simple xn books that are too "feel good").

And for the record...sometimes I ask, "what would Rob do?!!!!" Thanks for being an OLDER =) brother that exemplifies the importance of true character formation.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Paul & Wanda Moores said...

John Ross, you are the funniest hobbit in the shire.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEYYYYYYY!!! What the heck!!! Where have u been? Its been a long time. I found ur blog through jeremy postal....he is my young adults pastor now. Hows life? Hopefully u remember me...my bro inlaw took over sydney pent. for u. Hope that life is treating u GREAT!!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home