Friday, September 08, 2006

The Church Experiment part 2

This trip to Alberta was an opportunity for Jaime and I to hear God speak to us on a lot of levels. I’m trying to reflect and write these down. Here goes…
I found myself walking on a mountain trail hiking up to a remote place called Hidden Lake with my wife, 2 close friends, my brother and his wife. We talked of the Kingdom as we walked and looked on awestruck at God’s amazing creation (no… not just meaning my wife, she was the centerpeice of an incredible backdrop of art). At some point I jokingly said, “… this is the best church I’ve had in months”. Then it struck me like a lightning bolt... It really was. Here I was worshipping the creator with my whole body as I tried to take in what He has so artfully sculpted, specifically the immense mountains towering above me, and the cascading waterfalls. Not only was I worshipping in awe, but I was sharing the experience with close relationships who were on the journey of faith with me. This was the best “corporate worship” I had been a part of in a long time. And add to that that we talked of the Kingdom, culture, church, scripture and faith as we went along… this ROCKED!!! I am inspired to take something of this experience of church with me wherever I go. Find a way to have “church” outside of the building people!



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great reflection Rob, and awesome pictures...I drooled with envy, I love the mountains. It is amazing how big the church really is once you get outside the " building." Peace...Ron+

4:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Sometimes I wonder if the idea of "church" hasn't become and idol in and of itself...have we been navel gazing intead of looking at Jesus? Does how we "do church" even matter?

Perhaps the problem is one of the heart; perhaps we have left our first love and substitued other loves... Maybe thats why Abraham was told to sacrifice his son..perhaps Isaac had become too much the focus of his affection.

Hope you don't mind a comment from a stranger...just found your blog very intriguing..

1:41 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Welcome to the conversation Cathy.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Markimus said...

Maybe church is not church and what we thought wasn't is.
'there is no spoon neo'

Church - is more about who we are together than what we do together... and I think thats where we miss it...
Moments of divine connectedness in everyday life is the best church we will ever have.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Paul & Wanda Moores said...

When I hear you talk like this, it makes me think "Where's this all leading". I also think "Isn't it fun getting there?"

Rob, I really commend you for not getting stuck in the mud in this "transition" yime in your life. From what I hear in your posts, you are definitely moving forward.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home