Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Church Experiment

The last 6 months have been a really interesting experiment in church for Jaime and I. The journey we are on, I would not recommend for most people, but for us – this is a unique time in our life and we feel that God is showing us some things, teaching, and preparing us to be effective in the current reformation of what it means to be “the Church” in our changing culture. I thought I would begin to chronicle my observations so far. If you hate long blogs skip down to the point form stuff below. I’ll distinguish between the church that I dream for, and the “church” that we often have on Sunday morning by using quotation marks.

First of all let’s back up… In January of this year, I resigned as Youth Pastor at Sidney Pentecostal Church, a position I had held for over 10 years. For a host of reasons we would not attend the church we left (nothing wrong with the church or the leadership) we simply knew that in order for us to move on emotionally, and for those we pastored to do the same – we must be absent. We attended various churches over the next few weeks, but soon came to the conclusion that we were still so emotionally attached to our former church that we were not able to open ourselves to new relationships, at least not yet. Sunday mornings became increasingly frustrating, we were merely going to churches to avoid people, sing songs (not collective worship), and hear a sermon. We realized that for a time – we needed to… stop going to “church”. This was hard for us to accept at first, after all, we had both grown up believing that skipping “church” was bad. Thus began a very interesting journey.

The first thing we decided that we needed to find a temporary way of learning (other than sermons). So we began to read more than usual. “Blue like Jazz” “Velvet Elvis”, “A Generous Orthodoxy”… books that would challenge our thinking of church. These choices were unintentional at first but now we see the hand of God in it. Secondly we decided that we needed “Community”. So we reached out for a few close friends that we could connect with on a deeply significant level (“Koinonia”). This has been harder to do, and we’re still working on it.

So far I have had a lot of revelations from “the outside”, and seen things I had not seen before. Namely…

1.Church is both about learning and about community, BUT not in that order.
- I used to assume that a good church was one where you came to learn the Word first, and experience community as a secondary thing. This is not entirely biblical.
- I’ve come to believe church is supposed to about deep relationships at least as much as it is about preaching the word.
Spiritual learning is the responsibility of each disciple for him/herself, NOT the pastor. The shepherd guides the sheep to good pasture – he doesn’t “feed” them.
Koinonia relationships spawn learning experiences and conversations automatically. Good teaching, while valuable, does not spawn relationships.
- Jaime and I have found that in the absence of deep relationships – Sunday morning “church”, has lost all life for us.


2.Church really has nothing to do with Sunday morning.
- I know that sounds scandalous, but really Sunday morning worship has been a recent development in the life of the church (at least our version of it).
- Showing up, shaking hands, singing songs, listening to a sermon, then going home is not church. At least not by itself.
- Add to the above, deep relationships and personal involvement in ministry and you may have something.
- I dream for an amazing church that has no Sunday morning service – just to break out of the mold! Relationships, serving and accepting others (inc. the lost), real community, worship, learning, good coffee… Ahhh…


3.Community is more than seeing someone once a week!
- The coolest part about my time with Sidney Pentecostal Youth was that we’d see our friends 3-4 times a week – we could actually JOURNEY TOGETHER!!!
- If your lifestyle does not allow you to connect more than once a week with close Christian relationships – then you should change your lifestyle to find a way, or - give up on trying to have real church.
- Our busy culture is custom designed (not by God) to keep us from experiencing real church – we must change that.


4.(Minus the deep relationships…) I don’t want to go to “church” on Sunday, and I’m a Christian! – How on earth can I expect a non-Christian neighbor to want to come!
- If I’m not in deep relationships with others in my “church” – I have no business inviting anyone!
- Otherwise I’m modeling dull religion not life giving community.
- It would be far better to invite them to a BBQ with Christian friends, and really BE FRIENDS!
- Alpha rules! – Many churches should quit Sunday morning and just do Alpha.


Well… I’m sure I’ll finish these observations at some point, but that’s the extent of our experiment thus far. Jaime and I are praying that this transition time will end soon and we can settle into a new community of believers and put down roots.
Until next time…

Be part of the solution- not part of the problem!

17 Comments:

Blogger Delbert said...

those are some good books fo'shizo my good friend. we'll talk church. it'll be grand

2:48 AM  
Blogger Paul & Wanda Moores said...

Yes. Yes to everything you said. Brilliant. I am going to link to this post from my blog. My readers need to read this. As someone who's jorneyed this way a little ahead of you, I can say that you will get to a point of loving the church even more than you already do.

After getting really frustrated with church the first 10 months I was here, now I'm at the point where I think the church doesn't need to be blown up but needs a reformation. I still believe that something supernatural can happen through the church. I love the journey you're on Rob & Jamie. I really know that you're gonna look more like Jesus than you already do. The Devil is very scared of what you're learning right now. Keep it up young Jedi. May the (emergent) force be with you.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Those were some really awesome thoughts. Ever since being back from Africa I've had the same sort of sense about the church, with things that need to be changed or developed. You really pointed out some good thoughts, I'm stoked I had a chance to read this. Keep sharing it with others and developing more thoughts along it.
Preach it brotha!

10:15 PM  
Blogger RevTrevK said...

Totally challenged by your blog.

Not sure if I agree with everything but there are MANY things I love that you said.

My favourite quote is: "Many churches should quit Sunday morning and just do Alpha."

I understand we are still using a 1700 model for church. And I have pondered much about how we could change it to make it more appealing and most of all more Christ-like. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. I think we need to set up a place where we can connect deeply with God and with other believers AND where unbelievers can really find Jesus. Love the BBQ comment/idea.

I really believe in the church not because it's what I am used to but because it's really God's idea. And I know you are all for God's real ideal for church.

I think my life motto is when Jesus said, "I have come so that you may have life and life to the full." My fear and motivation as a Christian and a pastor is to NOT make God boring. He is all about LIFE. Our heavenly Father is so creative and out of the box and powerful and personal. I really want to portray Him for who He really is. Not like people view Him on the Simpsons or in the movies or just showing up on Easter & Christmas punching in on their spiritual time sheets.

I want to know Christ and make Him known. I want to BE a disciple of Jesus not just say I am. I want to know God not just know about Him. I long to make a difference in people's lives like Jesus has made in mine through people like Bill Markham, you Rob and SO many others.

Man I am LONG winded...I get that from my dad. I hope this speaks to someone out there.

Rob & Jamie, we believe in you. We believe you are called by God. He WILL direct you and make your paths straight. We are blessed to be called your friends. Oh yeah and we love you.

Peace...the Kempner's
You need to come and visit. Let's do “Koinonia”.

10:22 PM  
Blogger jaz & les ghag said...

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the deep thoughts. Enjoyed exploring your blog. And yes, Church is so much more than 2 hours on a Sunday morning...
Talk to you soon.

10:59 AM  
Blogger AfterVerner said...

So, if I tried to summarize everything you said, you would be saying that church should be more like a giant spy cell, yes? And then if every church became like that, all the cells come together to form the church of Christ, and that alone changes the world. I like it. Where do I start?

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great observations, I have to agree with you about church. We have been on the same sort of journey, and relationships are defitely the key to "CHURCH."

Jesus was effective because of his ability to form relationship with people. Funny how we miss out on that aspect of his ministry.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob, great thoughts from the fringe. I left a community for a year after 15 years of fellowship. In this land of transition, I learnt alot...my whole perspective changed being on the outside looking in.Even now I still find myself more at home on the fringe, there is far more freedom to engage the world around me. This may sound harsh...but I have no desire to be apart of something that seems to consume more life than it gives. Anyway, Rob, thanks for sharing your journey. Pax...Ron+

9:26 AM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Thanks for all the feedback!
Jaime and I are off to Alberta Aug. 11-25.
Pray for me as I speak at a Youth Camp there!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Siggy Islander said...

Hey Rob - I hear you!!! I think you're absolutely right. We've just come back into the church bubble after being on the 'outside' for 2-1/2 years. I would not have traded the experience for anything because it has changed the way I view life, my world, and church. I think all pastors should quit going to church! Sunday morning ain't all it's cracked up to be...

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey rob,

Its funny. Even though we dont see eachother as much, I realize that I still learn so much from you. All this is so true and I agree completely. Church is about community and friendships made with other christians or people in search of god. I dont usually like blogs, but yours is great. Thanks

-Em

1:37 PM  
Blogger Quigley said...

Now that there is some good meat to chew on.. thanks bro! In fact.. I'd say that revelation and epiphany like this can sometimes only come when you are "taken" out of the box of routine and what we think of as the usual routine of traditional church. God has so much purpose for where He has you both, and where He is taking you. No question you both are on a journey, and by no means are "standing still" - you're moving all the time!! The cool part is even while "moving" in life - you can still be in that place of 'rest' in the Lord. Truly amazing!! Bless you guys on your trip - praying for refreshment, revelation, and just a rockin time with each other, family, and the LORD!

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, funny that I should find you in my search... you and I have met before in Calgary. But I have found something strangely like you have. After reading Mega-Shift, it formalized something in my mind that has been going on for years.

1. You are right because church has nothing at all to do with sundays.
2. Alpha is better than church because in the New Testament I read, people met from house to house rather than from church building to church building.
3. Pastors? If I read ephesians right, no one can hire a pastor, study to be a pastor, or do any activity to become a pastor. It seems funny, but being a pastor is a gift from God. You either are or are not one. Just like the apostle or the evangelist. You don't appoint these people - either God gives that gift to them (and it is proven out by their activities) or he does not.

Brother, the whole set up of our north-american church looks more like the Roman Catholic hierarchy and that is likely why we cannot see revival in Canada.

I pray that God will supernaturally provide for you, empower you, encourage you, and direct you and your new wife in your work. Be blessed and be a blessing.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Love your honesty and your sharing of the journey. I absolutely relate on so many levels. I think we're reading some of the same books. From one pastor to another...church needs to be redefined and if we can't break the stereotype who will?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Hey Nancy!

Thanks everyone for the comments. Jaime and I are back now. I will post a report of all God has done soon.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle's Books said...

Your idea of church is exactly what I have been looking for. I too, was brought up to think that if you missed church, it was wrong. My job simply doesnt allow me the time off on Sunday mornings, I have taken to studying the bible myself alone. It is lonely and I have no one to share it with or get another perspective on it. Sometimes I just need a Christian to talk to and listen to me ramble and cry (i have few Christian friends). Thanks for your site, it helps. :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger MC said...

Well, don't everybody all agree at once!

Nevertheless, here are my thoughts:

I agree, or at least relate with what you wrote. I anticipated resistance to the suggestion of changing our busy culture to experience "real church". But that doesn't seem to be bothering many.
The fact is, This theory caters to a statistically unchurched (and coherently "nonchristian") People group: Young adults.
I have thought a lot about how a developing and revitalised church could provide for Post-secondary students and young working people. These, who include myself, often find themselves in durasically routineless schedules as well as in a unique and difinitive demographic. The good news is, a church that is eager to break out of routine and formula will be the first to cater to this need I've felt over the past year.
I can relate with what Ron said about enjoying the freedom of the fringe. Maybe the fringe is where the 'non-Christian' or Godseekers are waiting for the 'Christian' or God-followers to hang out.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home