Monday, June 12, 2006

Changing of the guard

Sometimes in life it is good to mark significant changes with some act or symbol. It helps us remember and process the past. We call them milestones.
For those who know me well, you will know that I have had my 1995 Honda since it was new. On that day in June 95, I hung a plastic model of a Klingon Bird of Prey (a cool spaceship) from the rear view mirror. I loved the Klingon warrior ethos, and the type of ship, so it was a natural thing to do. Over 10 years, my friends and students came to identify Rob’s car as the one with that particular ship hanging from the mirror.


Well… all things in life must change. And so today, June 12, 2006, After 11 years of faithful service, I have decided to retire the Bird of Prey. I know this will be hard for many of you to accept, but let me explain…
Jaime and I are in a time of transition that will lead to new adventure in the unknown. My car is no longer new, and I seriously pray that God will keep the old girl working, because I’m gonna need it. So I have reached further back into my childhood and drawn out an image that better reflects my relationship with my car heading into this era of life. An image that has perhaps signified my most lifelong and profound relationship with a vehicle. An image that embodies the words of a great man; “… She’ll hold together! ‘Hear me baby, just hold together…”

The Millennium Falcon.


Here’s to another 11 years of great memories.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mike McMillan said...

but how will i know its your car now i will be so confused

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe it... But you can't go wrong with the Millennium Falcon.

I still have a painted Bird of Prey around here somewhere. In fact, I think you painted it...

4:45 AM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Geepers Lars,
You were around at this ideas very inception! I got up early with you so we could get the ships out of the Shreddies boxes in the cafeteria first!
remember the Ferengi Massacre?

5:43 PM  
Blogger Edward Ott said...

have to admit they both look pretty cool. so what are you going to do with the bird of prey?

Salam

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those were good times. Unless you were a Ferengi of course...

I also seem to remember a near head-on collision in your firebird due to a rise in confidence stemming, no doubt, from Klingon influences...

12:37 AM  
Blogger Paul & Wanda Moores said...

Geez. You never quit do you.

GO OILERS!!! Never say die!!!!!

2:37 PM  
Blogger LA VIDA CHIVASO said...

Rob - You are Amazing!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Boomer said...

May the force be with you...:)

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea I'm with Mike, there's got to be at least 4 other guys running around sidney with honda Civic coups with one of those falcons swinging from their rear view!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home