Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Creativity

During this time off I have discovered something interesting about my creative process. I have always been a creative personality with all the strengths and weaknesses that go along with the territory; daydreaming, doodling, tunnel vision, hobbies, and fantasies. Like anything creativity can be both a strength and a weakness.
Lately I have found that I have been at my most creative, and since I have the time, I decided to consider… why? What is so different now, that allows me to be this way? (and I am enjoying it). The biggest things that stick out to me are 1. Time, 2. Focus, and 3. Inspiration.
Lately I have had time to allow my projects to roll around in my imagination for days on end without much interruption. This allows me to visualize and imagine how I am going to do certain things and solve obstacles. Normally I can’t do this – I have demands on my time and attention that take me out of that place.
Focus – is what I call the ability to put most other things aside and let my passions run with my imagination. Normally I’m not a person ruled by his passions this way, but for right now I think it is a healthy thing for me. If my hobbies become and obsession – then we have a problem.

The word artist comes to mind. I imagine artists require inspiration – motivation. For me (and I guess I am considering myself an artist) I am presently inspired by Star Wars, specifically the image of the Jedi, and the lightsaber. This imagery motivates me to create.


Now the challenge for me is in the long term. How do I apply what I am learning so that I can bring my creative artist side to bear on my life and work, the ministry? For all you artists out there… create! It’s in you because it’s in the nature of your maker! And he equips/anoints artists! (Exodus 31: 1-11).

3 Comments:

Blogger jeremy postal said...

I just wrote about creativity lately as well! I think we are in kahoots....
It must be some Jedi mind trick.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Whoa...

7:54 PM  
Blogger Delbert said...

Who'd have thunk that messin around with some PVC and gold tubes would lead to such creativity?

But yeah, it makes ultimate sense to me that it's in the nature of our maker, so it's in our nature... and i've been thinkin about being creative with song and guitar, but i think i'm lacking some of the stuff u got right now. time and focus mainly. maybe one day you can make me a lightsaber and i can write you a song? haha...

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home