Thursday, June 29, 2006

Some things add up

After 6 months of being out of "full time ministry", I find myself struggling to see the big picture at times. The enemy attacks, and I wonder what all I have accomplished, and if I am merely a self absorbed person who requires a paycheck in order to be a minister of Christ… (These are lies from the enemy I know, but we still have to acknowledge that the thoughts are there, and do battle with them daily).















Anyways, I recently dug out the files containing the notes for every sermon/message/talk that I have done since I came to Sidney in 1995. I am looking for some notes to help me prepare my messages for the Power Zone Camp in Alberta this August. I had to stand back and just look at 10 years of preaching the Gospel, and calling people to discipleship. It was quite a moment for me, a little look at the bigger picture. I remember the faces of all the young disciples I've had the privelage to sit and discuss these ideas with over coffee. It was a nice reminder from God that there is more than what I am feeling right now. I am a part of a larger story, even if this chapter is about rest and reflection – not necessarily about action. Even as I write this I feel better, knowing that I am following my King and not “missing out”. Thanks to those of you who have persisted in praying for Jaime and I. You may never know how much we appreciate it!

9 Comments:

Blogger jeremy postal said...

Hey Rob
When I think of the big picture in youth pastoring your name is one of the first names that comes to mind.....every time. I am looking forward to being at the point someday where I can look back and say, "this is a big picture!" Thanks.

I'll be praying for you and Jamie in the moment I finish posting this comment.
God's grace and peace,
-Jer

3:31 PM  
Blogger Boomer said...

Hey Rob,

I would consider myself one of those disciples. The network must be huge, I never saw you in Sidney. Hope to see you guys on Sat.

Mike

6:44 PM  
Blogger Delbert said...

It's hard for me to even explain (or even understand myself) what I felt when I stopped to stare at that picture of your notes and do a little bit of remembering myself. If anyone is able to bare witness to the effect you've had on the big picture to the disciples here in Sidney, I feel I can do that.

I will always remember those previous chapters of my life being lived with those thoughts, and those coffees, and those ideas we shared.

Do I really have to stop thanking you one of these days? Hope not

2:48 AM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Geepers you guys are gonna make me get all "misty".

2:12 PM  
Blogger LA VIDA CHIVASO said...

Hey Rob,

Being apart of the "Big Picture" does not mean that we always see it, however I'm glad that God has given you the ability to take a glipse of the Bigger picture that you are apart of!

I still remain a proud Sidney girl,
your friend,partner in ministry and Diciple of Christ.

Thank you for being such a great mentor to me.

The truth you shared with me about God's Love - I'm now sharing with children/Youth in Regina, Saskatchewan. Crazy!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Reuben the Destroyer said...

I am honoured to have been one of those disciples... I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for you. Thanks.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Slynn said...

i think it's all been said, but here's props from one of the original pyros who grew alongside of you. i will be forever loyal to spy. and you have no idea how inspirational that pile of notes is. i look forward to many, many more.
always the sunshine girl...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Welcome to the conversation Mark.
Nope... that hasn't occured to me at all since I met Him. I apologize if I appear "self aggrandizing", I just want to be the best billboard for my creator I can be. To me that means being honest and real about what I feel. I know that feelings lie - truth doesn't. When I feel like God is not there, I remember that those feelings have no bearing on the reality that He is there for me, always... He said so (Matthew 28: 20).

8:52 PM  
Blogger Markimus said...

Rob

I hear those words under your words... I can relate... there are moments ... where seeing the big picture still won't cut it. AND THATS AYE OKAY. And are those thoughts the enemy or just thoughts about life and how you need to survive to accomplish your goals?
***
All that to say ... I am in your corner and it would be good to connect sometime.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home