Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Living Stones


So I’m working out this thought about biblical community. I found a couple of passages of interest. Rather than try to compose a teaching based only on this, I'll just ask a few interesting questions. Give me your input and let's see where we end up.


1. Do you think that there is a connection between these two things:

First, in Matthew 16:18 Jesus re-names Simon – Peter, (or “Rock”).
Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”
Matthew 16:18


Second, Peter’s illustration (later in his life) of the church as a building made up of “living stones” in 1 Peter 2: 4-9?

As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in Scripture it says:
1 Peter 2: 4-9


2. If these two things are related, what is the significance to Peter? To us?


3. Is Peter teaching that our very relationships are in fact a temple, containing the presence of the Living God, and enabling us to perform priestly sacrifices of ministry?


4. Where and how are we to live out this “temple community”? (Hint 2: 12).

4 Comments:

Blogger Delbert said...

so are you saying that church is just people/stones that choose to be a part of building the kingdom? what if we're a bunch of funny looking stones that dont fit the way the stones below us fit together? because i dont feel like i fit with some stones as well as others.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Markimus said...

I love these passages and I think they are deeply connected. Peter realized that the statement was not about him in particular but 'people like him' Stones like you peter ... I will build my Church.

Our coming together carry the prescence of God... Did not Jesus say that ... where two or three are gathered together...

Where - Where ever we are.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

Del, I think the "being built together" part is God's job. I know I need to be "ground" and shaped in order to fit with other stones... or is that carrying the metaphor too far? At any rate - the building is patterned after the Cornerstone. As we become shaped more and more like Him - we naturally fit with each other better.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we have to take a look at the unity Paul talks about in Philippians, if we are going to have to be united, so we should have the same love, one in spirit and in purpsose, and being selfless, i think those would fall under being a "stone" and through this we can fit alittle closer together.

I think 2 corthinans 6:16 adds some supplementary thoughs and for me kinda answers your questions with the addition of Philippians

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home