Thursday, December 13, 2007

Theory number 268473



I have theories about everything. For instance, I spend time with people who WANT to be more acquainted with the teachings of the bible. They want to be the kind of person who digs in and studies the Word of God as an individual... someone who has at least a sense of what scripture teaches about the issues of life. BUT... they don’t do anything about it. They continue on unsatisfied, in a church culture where most people expect to be told what scripture teaches on Sunday morning. We want to be a person of the Word, but we don’t want it enough to live a little differently.

My theory is this;
...that we are actually too intimidated by the Bible to even try to dig in and understand it. For some reason we allow ourselves to be discouraged by fears of the bible being boring, or impossible to understand, or that we are too busy. None of these are true. The bible is not boring when we begin to grasp what it says. If there was ever a culture in the history of humanity that had a leg up – in interpreting the bible, it would be us. We have biblegateway.com, commentaries, and modern translations!!! And finally – no one is too busy to eat. At least daily. It’s all a matter of what is most important to me... and the reality that - I get to CHOOSE what is most important to me.

Wanna help me test my theory? If you do... try this: Don’t allow yourself to be intimidated – but for 3 weeks - actually read the bible – even study it a bit – just try. I suspect that if you try you will discover it is not as daunting as you feared. Perhaps it will even bring life! If you feel like you’ve tried that already and it didn’t work... try again. What do you have to lose?

What if we became a generation of people who were into the Word PERSONALLY, DAILY, DEEPLY. How could the world not be changed by such a generation?

3 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin said...

that was deep... like a dagger to my heart... i'll take that test you speak of....
thanks rob!

10:21 PM  
Blogger MC said...

Yes, the Bible takes digging.
It is not the flakiness that "church culture" may well appear, nor does it imply that we should shut our mouths and conform.
So, running the risk of sounding rebellious here, I dare say that What the Bible teaches is much more real, exciting, applicable, scary and even downright dangerous than church culture. (Principles best applied with others... Bible studies? What??) Personal application is in process but i am, personally, discovering that it packs one heck of a better punch than I figure a Sunday morning diet ever could. It's sweet.

Don't be a pawn. Start an underground Bible Study in your basement today!

(Note to self: Get to it preacher)

10:54 PM  
Blogger Rob Petkau said...

You still crack me up Cronk.
I too am freaked out and convicted by what I'm discovering in the word... better than being bored eh?

All boys - check out the facebook group "men of the sword"

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home